Edgar Allan Poe Essay Hints For Beginners
Edgar Allan Poe is an American writer famous for his dark and mysterious poetry and short stories. At a literature class, you may be asked to write an essay related to the life of Edgar Poe or to his works. To succeed with this task, you’ll have to both select an interesting topic to discuss and follow particular rules during your work.
Essay Topics Related to Edgar Allan Poe
- The portrayal of the doppelganger in The Fall of the House of Usher by Poe.
- Poe’s guilty narrators in The Black Hat and The Tell-Tale Heart.
- The use of setting as a Gothic element in The Cask of Amontillado by Poe.
- The narrator and their sanity in Poe’s William Wilson.
- The role of history in Poe’s The Pit and the Pendulum.
- Different crimes that Dupin attempts to solve in Poe’s The Purloined Letter and The Murders in the Rue Morgue.
- The demonstration of Dupin’s mathematical mind in The Purloined Letter and The Murders in the Rue Morgue.
- The portrayal of the family in Poe’s The Fall of the House of Usher.
- The effect of the fear of death on the characters described in Poe’s stories.
- The establishment of the atmosphere of horror in Poe’s short stories.
Tips for Writing Your Essay
- Do your research.
- Make a layout.
- Create an introduction.
- Create body paragraphs.
- Create a conclusion.
- Revise and edit your text.
Once you’ve selected a specific question related to Edgar Allan Poe or his works, you should search for sources that contain information about it. You may use both the library of your school and the Internet. Having found the relevant books and articles, read them and highlight the points that you want to mention in your paper.
It’s highly recommended to plan the structure and contents of your academic paper in advance. This way, you won’t need to improvise a lot during the process of writing and won’t forget about mentioning any details.
The first section of your paper should briefly introduce Edgar Allan Poe to the reader and remind them about his achievements as a writer. Then, you should make a transition to your narrow topic and state your thesis.
Here, you should present the arguments in support of your thesis and strengthen them with quotations from Poe’s works and other reputable sources. Make sure to present and discuss each argument in a separate paragraph.
In the conclusion, you should restate your thesis and summarize your arguments. Then, based on the information presented in the body, you should convey your final message. In your final sentence, you may encourage other students to read Edgar Allan Poe’s works.
Once all the sections of your paper are written, you should proofread them very attentively. This way, you’ll be able to spot and eliminate mistakes made during the writing process.
These guidelines should help you compose a decent essay related to Edgar Allan Poe even if you’re only a beginning academic writer. Understand, however, that to craft a paper worthy of the highest score, you should practice writing often and develop great writing skills.